Unfortunately now we are unable to go out and enjoy New Jersey’s historical landmarks as much as we would like. However, New Jersey’s Digital Newspapers provides descriptions of historical building that may interest you. The image, featured in July 14, 1904 Perth Amboy Evening News, shows the Perth Amboy Barracks that was used to house troops during the French and Indian War. Although the original barracks in Perth Amboy Barracks, along with Elizabeth, Burlington, and New Brunswick have been demolished, the Old Barracks in Trenton have been restored.
The Trenton Old Barracks, which is the last remaining colonial barracks in New Jersey, was constructed in 1758 during the French and Indian War as a result of residents’ petitions against quartering soldiers in their homes.
During the Revolutionary War, the Old Barracks served multiple purposes, such as a refuge for British and Hessian troops prior to the Battles of Trenton in December 1776. Afterwards, the building served as an army hospital.
In the beginning of the 20th Century, members of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Colonial Dames organized the Old Barracks Association to restore the building. It went through a couple restorations to replicate what it would have looked like in the 18th century.
(Contributed by Kristi Chanda)
“About the Building.” (2015). Old Barracks Museum. Received from https://www.barracks.org/about-the-building.html.
New Brunswick Barracks. (2014). Middlesex County NJ. Retrieved from http://www.middlesexcountynj.gov/Government/Departments/BDE/Pages/New-Brunswick-Barracks.aspx.
Image labeled for reuse:
Martin, P. S. (2008, December 30). Old Barracks Museum, Trenton, NJ. Retrieved from https://www.flickr.com/photos/pablosanchez/3149484540.